Sunday, March 25, 2012

Can't find server

Hello
I installed the old MSDE 2000 (not release a) on a Windows XP Pro machine. I
manage the DB with the MSDE Manager from Vale Software. On the machine it
self, it works fine. I can select the DB and connect as 'sa' with password.
But on every other machine in the network, I can't connect to the DB. I can
ping to the server, that's no problem. I can chose the server in MSDE
Manager (and other DB-Tools like 'Aqua Data Studio' and 'DBVisualizer') but
I always get an error message like 'Cannot find server'. On the XP machine
there is no firewall running and -of course- the SQL-Server task is started.
The port 1433 isn't blocked.
Have enyone an idea why I can connect the DB on the machine it self but not
from every other machine in the network?
Thanks a lot
Dani
It's possible that the server does not have the network connectivity library
enabled.
i don't know how re-enable it in MSDE after MSDE is already installed.
Although i know it can be done, i read it a few days ago in the MSDE2000A
readme.
If it were SQL server, i'd say use the "Server Network Utility" (i think
it's called that). In that you can enable/disable tcpip,netbios,
multiprotocol, flatulance, etc.
"Daniel Geisseler" <d.geisseler@.gmx.net> wrote in message
news:2lk43sFd4pjhU1@.uni-berlin.de...
> Hello
> I installed the old MSDE 2000 (not release a) on a Windows XP Pro machine.
I
> manage the DB with the MSDE Manager from Vale Software. On the machine it
> self, it works fine. I can select the DB and connect as 'sa' with
password.
> But on every other machine in the network, I can't connect to the DB. I
can
> ping to the server, that's no problem. I can chose the server in MSDE
> Manager (and other DB-Tools like 'Aqua Data Studio' and 'DBVisualizer')
but
> I always get an error message like 'Cannot find server'. On the XP machine
> there is no firewall running and -of course- the SQL-Server task is
started.
> The port 1433 isn't blocked.
> Have enyone an idea why I can connect the DB on the machine it self but
not
> from every other machine in the network?
> Thanks a lot
> Dani
>
|||If you run svrnetcn.exe from the /Program Files/Microsoft SQL
Server/80/Tools/BINN folder it will bring up the Server network utility, you
can make sure the network libraries are enabled.
HTH
Dylan Kruger
"Ian Boyd" <admin@.SWIFTPA.NET> wrote in message
news:eGyjL5ZaEHA.1048@.tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> It's possible that the server does not have the network connectivity
> library
> enabled.
> i don't know how re-enable it in MSDE after MSDE is already installed.
> Although i know it can be done, i read it a few days ago in the MSDE2000A
> readme.
> If it were SQL server, i'd say use the "Server Network Utility" (i think
> it's called that). In that you can enable/disable tcpip,netbios,
> multiprotocol, flatulance, etc.
>
> "Daniel Geisseler" <d.geisseler@.gmx.net> wrote in message
> news:2lk43sFd4pjhU1@.uni-berlin.de...
> I
> password.
> can
> but
> started.
> not
>
|||Yeah, exactly that's it! The TCP/IP was disabled. I don't now why but after
I startet again, it works fine.
1000 thanks to you...
Dani
1000 thanks
"Dylan kruger" <carmellobear1@.hotmail.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:eC7EjuaaEHA.3112@.tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> If you run svrnetcn.exe from the /Program Files/Microsoft SQL
> Server/80/Tools/BINN folder it will bring up the Server network utility,
you[vbcol=seagreen]
> can make sure the network libraries are enabled.
> HTH
> Dylan Kruger
> "Ian Boyd" <admin@.SWIFTPA.NET> wrote in message
> news:eGyjL5ZaEHA.1048@.tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
MSDE2000A[vbcol=seagreen]
it
>
|||It's a new feature of MSDE, that by default it doesn't act like any other
server application on earth.
Go figure.
Probably Microsoft's tired of hearing people XXXXX about being
wormed/hacked/infected, and they just say, "Fine, your XXX get's no
connectivity anymore. Suck it!"
"Daniel Geisseler" <d.geisseler@.gmx.net> wrote in message
news:2lmm2oFept7kU1@.uni-berlin.de...
> Yeah, exactly that's it! The TCP/IP was disabled. I don't now why but
after[vbcol=seagreen]
> I startet again, it works fine.
> 1000 thanks to you...
> Dani
>
> 1000 thanks
> "Dylan kruger" <carmellobear1@.hotmail.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> news:eC7EjuaaEHA.3112@.tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> you
> MSDE2000A
think[vbcol=seagreen]
machine[vbcol=seagreen]
> it
I[vbcol=seagreen]
'DBVisualizer')[vbcol=seagreen]
but
>
|||I had a similar problem - I was not able to connect to the MSDE from
any other machine. I had tried openning the TCP/IP Port (1433) and even
shutting down the Firewall.
Eventually, I was able to able to fix the issue by adding the registry
value for "ProtocolList" under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE -> SOFTWARE ->
Microsoft -> MSSQLServer -> SuperSocketNetLib
But now I have a different issue. How can I connect to the MSDE
instance with DBVisualizer? I tried to create a connection but when I
try to select / edit a Driver the drop down is empty and I cannot get
one from the list that I get by hitting the Edit button.
Please help.
- manzoor

No comments:

Post a Comment