Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Can't get linked servers to work

I'm having trouble getting a new linked server to work.
Server Mfr is 2005 Dev (sp1) and is the 'local' server.
Server Krypton is 2000 EE sp3 and is the target server I need to link to and
query.
I have a valid Windows login on both systems and I'm in the sysadmin group
on both servers.
After linking the servers using Mgt Studio, I ran this:
EXEC sp_addlinkedsrvlogin @.rmtsrvname = 'KRYPTON', @.useself = 'true'
When I try running this query:
SELECT * FROM OPENQUERY(KRYPTON, 'SELECT * FROM CRICUST WHERE CustName =
''Acme''')
I get these errors:
OLE DB provider "SQLNCLI" for linked server "KRYPTON" returned message
"Communication link failure".
Msg 10054, Level 16, State 1, Line 0
TCP Provider: An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host.
Msg 18452, Level 14, State 1, Line 0
Login failed for user '(null)'. Reason: Not associated with a trusted SQL
Server connection.
Can you see what I'm missing?
Thanks!
djNo login credentials are being passed to the remote server.
Did you set everything up needed for delegation?
Have you tried with a SQL Login to see if the basics parts
(without the delegation issues) are working? For the linked
server, Just map all users to a valid SQL login on the
remote server to see if that works.
-Sue
On Thu, 10 Aug 2006 06:40:02 -0700, dj
<dj@.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I'm having trouble getting a new linked server to work.
>Server Mfr is 2005 Dev (sp1) and is the 'local' server.
>Server Krypton is 2000 EE sp3 and is the target server I need to link to an
d
>query.
>I have a valid Windows login on both systems and I'm in the sysadmin group
>on both servers.
>After linking the servers using Mgt Studio, I ran this:
>EXEC sp_addlinkedsrvlogin @.rmtsrvname = 'KRYPTON', @.useself = 'true'
>When I try running this query:
>SELECT * FROM OPENQUERY(KRYPTON, 'SELECT * FROM CRICUST WHERE CustName =
>''Acme''')
>I get these errors:
>OLE DB provider "SQLNCLI" for linked server "KRYPTON" returned message
>"Communication link failure".
>Msg 10054, Level 16, State 1, Line 0
>TCP Provider: An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host
.
>Msg 18452, Level 14, State 1, Line 0
>Login failed for user '(null)'. Reason: Not associated with a trusted SQL
>Server connection.
>Can you see what I'm missing?
>Thanks!
>dj|||Hi Sue -
We're not on AD, so I believe delegation isn't an option.
If I'm using Windows authentication and my account exits on both machines,
do I still need to pass credentials? I thought the 'useself' parameter took
care of that.
Or am I just very confused (quite possibly)?
Thanks.
"Sue Hoegemeier" wrote:

> No login credentials are being passed to the remote server.
> Did you set everything up needed for delegation?
> Have you tried with a SQL Login to see if the basics parts
> (without the delegation issues) are working? For the linked
> server, Just map all users to a valid SQL login on the
> remote server to see if that works.
> -Sue
> On Thu, 10 Aug 2006 06:40:02 -0700, dj
> <dj@.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
>|||You are correct that if you aren't using AD, you can't use
delegation. Delegation will pass your authentication
information from one server to another. useself just says to
use the current login for authentication against the remote
server but doesn't really manage any of the passing of
credentials or how that will work (or not work).
Try using a SQL login for the security mappings to the
remote linked server.
-Sue
On Thu, 10 Aug 2006 11:07:01 -0700, dj
<dj@.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
[vbcol=seagreen]
>Hi Sue -
>We're not on AD, so I believe delegation isn't an option.
>If I'm using Windows authentication and my account exits on both machines,
>do I still need to pass credentials? I thought the 'useself' parameter too
k
>care of that.
>Or am I just very confused (quite possibly)?
>Thanks.
>"Sue Hoegemeier" wrote:
>

No comments:

Post a Comment