Tuesday, March 27, 2012

can't get in anymore

I installed SQL 2005 on a new machine last week. Created a database using
scripts. Worked fine for a few days.
Yesterday, I attached a database that had been created on another machine,
with SQL 2000. Seemed to work fine. I closed SQL Server to work on something
else, then opened it back up. It won't let me in now. It says that it
doesn't allow remote connections, even though I am doing it from the same
machine that it resides on.
Text of the message is below the line at the bottom of this.
I tried changing the way I log in, including Windows Authentication, SQL
Server authentication, using my network name, and then using the user name I
created just for this thing when I installed SQL Server. I alwasy get the
same message. I also tried connecting remotely from another machine.
I was able to use this same machine to connect to another SQL Server
instance on the network, so it's apparent that the installation of SQL
Server isn't messed up.
I know that I will probably get asked about an admin username and password,
but I don't know what mine is. I tried sa with no password, but it didn't
work.
This is really causing some problems and I have something due at noon today.
Any help appreciated.
If I uninstalled SQL Server and re-install, will that let me in then?
-----
TITLE: Connect to Server
Cannot connect to SERV423.
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:
An error has occurred while establishing a connection to the server. When
connecting to SQL Server 2005, this failure may be caused by the fact that
under the default settings SQL Server does not allow remote connections.
(provider: Named Pipes Provider, error: 40 - Could not open a connection to
SQL Server) (Microsoft SQL Server, Error: 2)
For help, click:
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink?ProdN...2&LinkId=20476
BUTTONS:
OK
did you enable TCP/IP and gave a proper IP Address in network
configuration under configuration manager?
|||I don't recall that being part of the installation. Is it something I can
change now?
"Shadow" <dinu_babu@.yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:1138289713.792093.149830@.z14g2000cwz.googlegr oups.com...
> did you enable TCP/IP and gave a proper IP Address in network
> configuration under configuration manager?
>
|||I had never seen Config mgr before you mentioned it. Opening it up showed me
that the services weren't running. I started them and it works now.
thanks
"Shadow" <dinu_babu@.yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:1138289713.792093.149830@.z14g2000cwz.googlegr oups.com...
> did you enable TCP/IP and gave a proper IP Address in network
> configuration under configuration manager?
>

No comments:

Post a Comment