Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Cant get list of servers

I can't get my server to show with the DMO function ListAvailableSQLServers or with the osql -L flag. The OS is windows 2000, but the drive is fat32 and doesn't have Directory Service.
Do you need NTFS to have Directory Service, and does SQL Server need Directory Service to broadcast its available servers?
I've got Visual Studio .Net and had no luck when I searched for an answer.I meant Active Directory.|||no neither ADS nor NTFS is essential for server listing. r u able to connect to other servers using EM or QA? is EM showing the complete list? of not there could be issues with the broadcasting server. check if 1433 port is not blocked by any firewall programa at server end. also check that the server is not hidden by server network utility >> TCPIP >> hide server.|||It is actually MSDE, so I don't have EM or QA. But I have Visual Studio .Net and it has Server Explorer which functions much like EM and QA. The databases and programs I use to connect are on the same machine. I use this to learn/practice SQL Server. I don't have a machine with a server OS, so I can't check "proper" server operation.
But yes, Server Explorer connects and shows my SS instance. I can use osql, programs I create in VB.net, or even web pages scripted with ADO or DMO objects to connect and modify the SS databases, as long as I specify the server. The only thing I can't seem to do is get a list of the servers (I only have one server).
I have a software firewall, but only have it running while my dial-up is online.
Not sure what you mean by "server network utility >> TCPIP >> hide server". I have the server/client tools that were included (in the tools\binn folder); the program cnfgsvr.exe sounds like a good place to start. I'll check it out.
Thanks|||the server network utility i am referring to uses ...\bin\svrnetcn.exe (non-msde version). the exe u have identified may work as well, not sure. for same machine sql server uses shared-memory net lib. if TCPIP or Named Pipe is not enabled, i have seen that OSQL -L fails to identify local server...|||Yeah, that's the one,SVRNETCN.EXE, the Sql Server Network Utility. Both Tcp/Ip and Named Pipes protocols are enabled, the default port 1433 is set, and the Hide Server option is unchecked.
I forgot to mention that my MSDE was included free with my VS.Net. When I installed it, I chose all the defaults which gave my sql server an instance name of VSDOTNET. I don't know why it didn't just install with the default computername. Maybe that has something to do with it?
So I used the Sql Server Client Network Utility, CLICONFG.EXE, and created aliases, one for tcp/ip and one for named pipes. The aliases were listed properly with OSQL -L and using the DMO App.ListAvailableSQLServers() function. I don't know why computername\vsdotnet won't list without the aliases.

No comments:

Post a Comment