Tuesday, March 27, 2012

cant get around @@TEXTSIZE

Hello all,

Having a problem getting around @.@.TEXTSIZE. Shared hosting, SQL Server 2000. @.@.TEXTSIZE Value appears to be 64000, or anyway that's what I get in a query from ColdFusion. Which would explain why some of my very long values in my text column (up to 125K) are being truncated on SELECT.

But when I crank up Management Studio and query for @.@.TEXTSIZE I get the full 2GB max. So why does a SELECT in Management Studio of a row with one of my very long values still return truncated results?

I know that my full content is indeed in the database; READTEXT Research.HTMLContent @.ptrval 124484 100 gets me the last 100 characters of the full content as expected.

Sticking SET TEXTSIZEs into my queries (in ColdFusion app or Management Studio) has no effect. Are there other settings that can behave this way that I should be looking into?

Any thoughts appreciated; I've got a busted production application and an unhappy client.Found the answer, which I'll post here for the benefit of future Googlers--

It wasn't a SQL Server issue, but a ColdFusion one. There is a ColdFusion setting, in ColdFusion Administrator under Edit Datasource, called "Enable retrieval of long text." I'm not sure whether it's on or off by default, but in my case it was off. In which case, retrieval of SELECTS of text is limited to a data size specified on the same screen, labeled something like "Long text buffer limit."

Behind the scenes it does appear that ColdFusion is manipulating @.@.TEXTSIZE with this long text buffer limit, since a SELECT @.@.TEXTSIZE sent via a ColdFusion query returns the limit value.

No comments:

Post a Comment