Sunday, March 25, 2012

Cant get Access Database Synchronizer set up on client machine

I have created a PPC application that uses ADS to synchronize my sqlce db with a desktop MS Access database. It works fine on my computers, but my client cant get it to work on his. Here is the situation.

His "Computer Name" as it's stated in his 'My Computer' properties is "PAVSGP024FE.NWFSC.NOAA.GOV"

However his Access.MDW File is located in the directory "C:\Documents and Settings\Joe Nobody\Application Data\Microsoft\Access\System.MDW".

There is no directory called "C:\Documents and Settings\PAVSGP024FE.NWFSC.NOAA.GOV\Application Data\Microsoft\Access\System.MDW".

His current config.xml file looks like this.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<SystemNode>
<AccessDB>C:\Program Files\NOAA Release Logger\NOAA_ReleaseLogger.mdb</AccessDB>
<DeviceDB>\Program Files\NOAA Release Logger\NOAA_ReleaseLogger.sdf</DeviceDB>
<Login>Joe Nobody</Login>
<URL>http://Joe Nobody:1024/</URL>
<WinDir>C:\</WinDir>
</SystemNode>

He has tried adding port 1024 as an exception for his firewall settings, has installed Access Database Synchronizer on his computer, and I have also tried using the "long" computer name as the url setting in the config file. (i.e. <URL>http://PAVSGP024FE.NWFSC.NOAA.GOV:1024/</URL> but this throws the error

"The HTTP request failed due to incorrect format or content. Try restarting the IIS server.[]"

I dont know what else to try! Anybody have any suggestions?

I have had the same problems when I first installed. THen for some reason things started working. Now a few weeks later, when I get back to trying it, no work anymore. I suggest you read the readme.doc that comes with it. THere are some things to check there. Make sure IIS is running. THen you add a 1024 port if you have the firewall enabled. I also had some success when I manually copied the .cab file to the device, then installed that way. I don't think I have ever got it to work just downloading the sample project.

Another thing to verify is that your internet connection is going from device to desktop. Open IE and try to open http://<computer>:1024/. Presently, I am unable to do this so I think something is wrong on my Desktop platform. I am going to try another platform that used to work.

|||

Tried to run the synchronizer on the other platform that it used to work on also. Now that one is not working either. I went through all the steps I know of to get it working, no luck. I cannot get the IE to link up to the web service either which I am thinking must be the main problem.

I am sorry to say, I need to give up trying to get it to work now.

|||

Wanted to check, have you got it running now.

Please note: You do not IIS to run ADS applications. Stop the IIS and try.

The path of the .msw file should be C:\Documents and Settings\"User Name"\Application Data\Microsoft\Access\System.MDW.

So if his user name on the computer is "Joe Nobody" then specify the path as "C:\Documents and Settings\"User Name"\Application Data\Microsoft\Access\System.MDW" as indicated in your post.

|||

We did finally get this working but, only because we gave up installing it on this particular computer. His computer was part of a business network and something about it would not allow this to work. Once he installed everything on a non-network computer everything worked as it should. So, unfortunately, we never did actually get to the root of this particular problem.

Mike

No comments:

Post a Comment