Sunday, March 25, 2012

Can't Get a Hidden Parameter to Work

I am running 2000 with SP1.
Here's what I've tried so far.
I specified no prompt in the designer (put a blank) and deployed the report.
I got the following error: Parameter validation failed. It is not possible
to provide valid values for all parameters.
I then deleted the prompt in the Report Manager and tried again. It did not
work. I then unchecked the Prompt User box, and it still did not work. In
fact, it kept filling in the prompt field with the name of the parameter.
Therefore, I had to leave the Prompt User box checked. However, for both
scenarios, I got the following error: This report requires a default or
user-defined value for the report parameter 'EmployeeId'. To run or subscribe
to this report, you must provide a parameter value.
Here is the query string I used (not using SSL yet; still testing on my own
machine):
http://<computer
name>/Reports/Pages/Report.aspx?ItemPath=/Emileage/Emileage_Aging_Report_ByEmployee&EmployeeId=0000103518
The EmployeeId is a string so I was not sure how to denote that. I have
tried this with quotes and without quotes around the EmployeeId value, and
neither works.
The employee id is the third parameter. Does it need to be the first one?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
LizMy suggestion is to first get it working without being hidden.
Your URL is wrong. Don't use /reports use reportserver like this. It will
pull up the report but it will not if I remember correctly fill in your
parameters for you. /reports is reportmanager, the portal that ships with
RS. reportserver is the actual Reporting Services asp.net application.
http://server/reportserver?/Sales/Northwest/Employee Sales
Report&rs:Command=Render&EmployeeID=1234Also make sure your parameter name
matches your case exactly, it is (unfortunately) case sensitive.
Bruce Loehle-Conger
MVP SQL Server Reporting Services
"Liz" <Liz@.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:FB6DFF78-8495-44E0-91C5-E16D81F3BF57@.microsoft.com...
>I am running 2000 with SP1.
> Here's what I've tried so far.
> I specified no prompt in the designer (put a blank) and deployed the
> report.
> I got the following error: Parameter validation failed. It is not possible
> to provide valid values for all parameters.
> I then deleted the prompt in the Report Manager and tried again. It did
> not
> work. I then unchecked the Prompt User box, and it still did not work.
> In
> fact, it kept filling in the prompt field with the name of the parameter.
> Therefore, I had to leave the Prompt User box checked. However, for both
> scenarios, I got the following error: This report requires a default or
> user-defined value for the report parameter 'EmployeeId'. To run or
> subscribe
> to this report, you must provide a parameter value.
> Here is the query string I used (not using SSL yet; still testing on my
> own
> machine):
> http://<computer
> name>/Reports/Pages/Report.aspx?ItemPath=/Emileage/Emileage_Aging_Report_ByEmployee&EmployeeId=0000103518
> The EmployeeId is a string so I was not sure how to denote that. I have
> tried this with quotes and without quotes around the EmployeeId value, and
> neither works.
> The employee id is the third parameter. Does it need to be the first
> one?
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.
> Liz
>|||Yippee! That worked!!
Where can I get some more information on hidden parameters? I looked at the
Books Online but there is almost nothing on Reporting Services. I also have
"The Hitchhiker's Guide" which is a great book, but it doesn't have enough on
hidden parameters. I will, however, go and look at it again. I might get
more out of it this time:-)
Thanks so much!
Liz
"Bruce L-C [MVP]" wrote:
> My suggestion is to first get it working without being hidden.
> Your URL is wrong. Don't use /reports use reportserver like this. It will
> pull up the report but it will not if I remember correctly fill in your
> parameters for you. /reports is reportmanager, the portal that ships with
> RS. reportserver is the actual Reporting Services asp.net application.
> http://server/reportserver?/Sales/Northwest/Employee Sales
> Report&rs:Command=Render&EmployeeID=1234Also make sure your parameter name
> matches your case exactly, it is (unfortunately) case sensitive.
>
> --
> Bruce Loehle-Conger
> MVP SQL Server Reporting Services
>
> "Liz" <Liz@.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:FB6DFF78-8495-44E0-91C5-E16D81F3BF57@.microsoft.com...
> >I am running 2000 with SP1.
> >
> > Here's what I've tried so far.
> >
> > I specified no prompt in the designer (put a blank) and deployed the
> > report.
> > I got the following error: Parameter validation failed. It is not possible
> > to provide valid values for all parameters.
> >
> > I then deleted the prompt in the Report Manager and tried again. It did
> > not
> > work. I then unchecked the Prompt User box, and it still did not work.
> > In
> > fact, it kept filling in the prompt field with the name of the parameter.
> > Therefore, I had to leave the Prompt User box checked. However, for both
> > scenarios, I got the following error: This report requires a default or
> > user-defined value for the report parameter 'EmployeeId'. To run or
> > subscribe
> > to this report, you must provide a parameter value.
> >
> > Here is the query string I used (not using SSL yet; still testing on my
> > own
> > machine):
> > http://<computer
> > name>/Reports/Pages/Report.aspx?ItemPath=/Emileage/Emileage_Aging_Report_ByEmployee&EmployeeId=0000103518
> >
> > The EmployeeId is a string so I was not sure how to denote that. I have
> > tried this with quotes and without quotes around the EmployeeId value, and
> > neither works.
> >
> > The employee id is the third parameter. Does it need to be the first
> > one?
> >
> > Any help would be greatly appreciated.
> >
> > Liz
> >
> >
>
>|||I suggest searching 2005 books on-line on the microsoft site. For things
like url integration absolutely nothing has changed between 2000 and 2005.
How you do hidden parameters I believe has changed. There are some new
features (multi-select parameters, end user sorting) but that does not
affect URL integration. They have lots of good documentation on URL
integration (was not there in the 2000 docs).
Bruce Loehle-Conger
MVP SQL Server Reporting Services
"Liz" <Liz@.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:E328C5E9-1894-4C6F-AB8A-20904F1527D6@.microsoft.com...
> Yippee! That worked!!
> Where can I get some more information on hidden parameters? I looked at
> the
> Books Online but there is almost nothing on Reporting Services. I also
> have
> "The Hitchhiker's Guide" which is a great book, but it doesn't have enough
> on
> hidden parameters. I will, however, go and look at it again. I might get
> more out of it this time:-)
> Thanks so much!
> Liz
> "Bruce L-C [MVP]" wrote:
>> My suggestion is to first get it working without being hidden.
>> Your URL is wrong. Don't use /reports use reportserver like this. It will
>> pull up the report but it will not if I remember correctly fill in your
>> parameters for you. /reports is reportmanager, the portal that ships with
>> RS. reportserver is the actual Reporting Services asp.net application.
>> http://server/reportserver?/Sales/Northwest/Employee Sales
>> Report&rs:Command=Render&EmployeeID=1234Also make sure your parameter
>> name
>> matches your case exactly, it is (unfortunately) case sensitive.
>>
>> --
>> Bruce Loehle-Conger
>> MVP SQL Server Reporting Services
>>
>> "Liz" <Liz@.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> news:FB6DFF78-8495-44E0-91C5-E16D81F3BF57@.microsoft.com...
>> >I am running 2000 with SP1.
>> >
>> > Here's what I've tried so far.
>> >
>> > I specified no prompt in the designer (put a blank) and deployed the
>> > report.
>> > I got the following error: Parameter validation failed. It is not
>> > possible
>> > to provide valid values for all parameters.
>> >
>> > I then deleted the prompt in the Report Manager and tried again. It
>> > did
>> > not
>> > work. I then unchecked the Prompt User box, and it still did not work.
>> > In
>> > fact, it kept filling in the prompt field with the name of the
>> > parameter.
>> > Therefore, I had to leave the Prompt User box checked. However, for
>> > both
>> > scenarios, I got the following error: This report requires a default
>> > or
>> > user-defined value for the report parameter 'EmployeeId'. To run or
>> > subscribe
>> > to this report, you must provide a parameter value.
>> >
>> > Here is the query string I used (not using SSL yet; still testing on my
>> > own
>> > machine):
>> > http://<computer
>> > name>/Reports/Pages/Report.aspx?ItemPath=/Emileage/Emileage_Aging_Report_ByEmployee&EmployeeId=0000103518
>> >
>> > The EmployeeId is a string so I was not sure how to denote that. I
>> > have
>> > tried this with quotes and without quotes around the EmployeeId value,
>> > and
>> > neither works.
>> >
>> > The employee id is the third parameter. Does it need to be the first
>> > one?
>> >
>> > Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>> >
>> > Liz
>> >
>> >
>>

No comments:

Post a Comment